My first sewing finish for the new year! A pair of linen tea towels, cut from some yardage, that I jazzed up with a band of colourful scraps, a ruffle and sweet striped binding. Guaranteed to add some cheer to the task of drying dishes. ;o)
My plan was to use up odd shaped and tiny pieces from my scrap collection to make a colourful band across the width of my tea towels. The task of piecing was made easier by stitching the scraps onto a strip of cash register paper (cut about an inch longer than the width of my linen, to allow for ease and trimming). This method works really well for creating a narrow band of patchwork comprised of random sized scraps (such as for the borders on this mini wall hanging I made previously).
A tea towel will receive a fair amount of laundering and I wanted to be sure that my patchwork would withstand it, so after sewing it onto the linen, I secured it with a few rows of wavy stitching. Continuing to use leftovers from my stash, I added a simple ruffle made from a strip cut WOF and another leftover strip as a decorative bit of binding (to cover the top raw edge of the patchwork sewn to the linen). Finally, the raw edges of the linen were finished with some self made double fold binding in a perky red + white stripe. I couldn't resist cutting the binding on the bias to get that candy cane stripe look. ;o) A very fun finish!
There's some more kitchen stitching happening, as I continue to work to thin out some scraps from my stash. More on those projects soon. Here's hoping your first week of the new year has been a great one!
I'm linking up my latest finish with Amanda Jean and friends over at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday!