Finish it up Friday - Pencil Case

Growing up, I always looked forward to starting a new school year with a new box of coloured pencils and then making a special pencil case to carry them.  However, none of those pencil cases ever had the same charm that this one has.  It's just so cute AND it meant pulling out some favourite scraps for stitching those coloured pencils. How could I resist making this sweet pencil case?  ;o)

 
The pattern for this colourful case can be found in the book, Sew Gifts and is the design of Adrienne Smitke. 


 
No paper piecing involved in making these pencils, so you will notice that the tips tend to vary a bit in size.  Which only adds to the charm, right? ;o)


 I happened to find perfect fabrics in my stash, for the lining and the backing, bringing in some writing and maths to add to the school theme.


All in all, a very fun and satisfying project, which I can highly recommend, whether you make it to give away or to keep.  A pretty and practical gift for this time of year!


Linking up my happy little finish with Amanda Jean and friends, at Crazy Mom Quilts, for Finish it up Friday!


Comments

  1. Oh Katherine, I want to make this! I also loved the start of the school year (even not the school so much). I enjoyed so much notebooks, pens and pencils. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make this, such lovely presents ..... But i wait till weather is not hot anymore because my sewingroom is upstairs .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just darling! I'd love a mini quilt made with those pencils too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make one, too! Thanks for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, you are absolutely right - this is the perfect thing for this part of the year :) Your pencil case is wonderful and yes - these fabrics are talking about school.

    Our school time will start on the 1st of September and we slowly prepare some school accessories :)

    Have a nice time, Jola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours in this. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine, it is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Perfect for going back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And with the revival of colouring books, a pretty pencil case is an absolute must! Lovely finish Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's useful - and ADORABLE! What a great way to finish up your Friday.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great pencil case! It looks like it was a fun one to make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the cutest Pencil case EVER! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely perfect!!!! I would have been thrilled to have something so cute for my pencils back in the day :*) Heck, who am I kidding? I'd be thrilled to have it for my pencils today LOL!!! May have to make one for myself =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the most adorable and clever pencil case I have ever seen. I love how you made the pencils and the pencil tips! The details are subtle and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet pencil case and the perfect fabric choices. Now I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So Cute! Love the fabrics you chose!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!