Rainbow Connection Craft Case Redux

A few months ago, I designed a case (shown here),  for storing a Rainbow Loom,  which was a gift for one of my nieces.  Turns out, another niece was already whipping up bracelets with her own Rainbow Loom, so it only made sense that she should also have a specially made case.
 
Rainbow Connection Craft Case in aqua dots and a favourite Amy Butler print (from her Cameo line).

Making my design for the second time allowed for a wee bit of tweaking, but for the most part, not too much was altered.


Although designed to store a Rainbow Loom and the accompanying rubber bands, this case is also suitable for storing other crafty bits and bobs.

Like the original, I've included lots of storage in the form of cargo style pockets on the outside, clear vinyl zippered pockets on the inside lid and finally, the loom compartment (with a Velcro flap) for secure storage (click here and scroll down to see a photo of the loom inside the compartment).

Pockets and flaps stitched to case and awaiting snap closures.

Details like the pockets, take a bit of extra time, but are so worth the effort.   Prior to cutting the exterior pieces for this case, I quilted the fabric to add dimension and to add a little extra stability before interfacing the whole case.  There's lots of steps to making this little case, but I find that if you're not in a rush, it comes together without too much difficulty.

A heavy weight interfacing gives the case much needed structure and even allows it to stand on edge like a real suitcase.

The trickiest bit is adding the boxing (the piece with the zipper that makes the sides of the case). This is where it helps to use Wonder Clips to hold it all in place for stitching. Then I use them again for the last step in attaching the bias binding.  Love those Wonder Clips! (keep an eye out on Massdrop for a future buy at a great savings of this handy sewing notion).

Love the fussy cut label for a bit of personalization!

Just like the first case, I had to add a special "label" to the outside back of the case.  A bit of Wee Wander in Summer Ride was fussy cut for my horse loving niece.  Hopefully, she'll love using her gift!

For those of you that may be interested, I've plans to turn this design into a PDF pattern for you.  Fingers crossed, I will soon be working on the pattern writing and then having it tested to make sure it's as user-friendly as possible. Stay tuned!

I'm linking up this week's special finish with Amanda Jean and friends over at
 for
 Finish it up Friday
and
  with  Lindsey and friends 
for
Fort Worth Fabric Studio Blog

and with Kim and friends
for

Comments

  1. My jaw is hanging down in awe - hands down AMAZING, I say!!!!! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to a pattern for this awesome and handy bag. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the fabric you've used on this new version. And that label is perfect. If you happen to need an extra pattern tester, I volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics. Nicely done. Yes, would love a pattern for this case. Very versatile. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, I just Love this bag!!!
    I'm not shore I can understand a pattern that I haven't wrote, but I shore like to try!
    Kram//Maja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes...I would love to make this case, at least 5 times! I have 5 granddaughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute, your nieces are very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! My girls would love one of their own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute. Your pattern will be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm positive that she will love using her gift. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the pockets nice colours too....ps..good with grays got plenty x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I loved the first one you made, and this one is even cuter! Great Finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bag is adorable. It makes me want to be a member of your family and buy a Rainbow Loom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!