Simply irresistible

 I don't think I've seen a granny square quilt that I didn't love.  That being said, my favourite  is a scrappy version.

My own granny square quilt began 2 years ago... here... and I finished sewing the last blocks for it in January, but the crazy idea to use mini granny square blocks to make a king-size quilt came from how much I love these pillows.

(I gave a preview look at this finish in an earlier post - but thought I'd better include a few more pictures and details for you... I'm still hoping to get a full shot of this quilt sometime soon).



Just like the pillows I made with granny square blocks,  I used 1.5" squares from my scrap bins to make blocks that finished at 5.5" (and no fabric appears twice in a single block).  The background and the binding is Kona white.  It took 156 blocks to make my quilt and after framing each block, I staggered them to create a layout that keeps your eye moving.


 If you're a regular reader of my blog, you already know that besides scrappy projects, I love vintage Singer sewing machines. From start to finish, this quilt was made using two of my vintage Singer sewing machines - which I think is so cool.  My Singer 15-91 was used for piecing and my Singer 201 was used for quilting (only the second time I've tried quilting on her -  the first quilt was a baby quilt, so jumping to a king size was the real test - she passed with flying colours!). 

A peek at the backing and binding.  I was delighted with the colours in this print from the Summersault line, but decided the binding needed to be something neutral.
 Ta-da!
 Now I have a little more scrappy colour on our bed.



 Woo-hoo!  This king-size finish is something I can cross off this list.


Finish Along 2014



Comments

  1. Beautiful quilt and I just love all the pillows!
    Gunilla in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous Katherine! I love all that crisp white surroundings those gems of colour! Delightful! And how lovely does it look on your bed with the pillows to snuggle into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular! I love how the small blocks seem to be dancing across the quilt. This is just lovely. Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Love all the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, and I love it with all the pillows, just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must have been a lot of work but the result has a huge amount of gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely magnificent - and with pieces that size (1.5") definitely a LABOUR of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be still my scrappy heart! Love, love, love your grannies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous. That last pic is fantastic with all your pillows - soooo pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is your address? And when do you go out for groceries?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is beautiful! I love scrappy granny squares like these ones, and your small ones are so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore the backing, and pillows make it completely irresistible. I can actually picture curling up under it, after a long day of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really is a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply beautiful! I love the colorful scrappiness on the kona white!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is so beautiful that it makes me want to make a different quilt for my bed. Something a little bit lighter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous quilt! I love your staggered layout. This appeals to me much more than the regular layout. I haven't yet made a granny square but it's definitely on my one day list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!