Summer Sparkler Quilt Finished!


Before I tell you about my latest quilt finish, I have some exciting news to share.  Yesterday, the winners for the Pantone Emerald Challenge were announced and my entry in the "Just the Top" category was awarded third place.  I'm still in shock....

There's a link party/gallery, hosted HERE - so hop on over to see all the beautiful Emerald Challenge creations. 
Here's the link to see the top choices in each of the three categories of the challenge.

  Huge thanks to... Ali for being our wonderful hostess and organizer of the challenge, everyone that participated (loved all that Emerald inspiration), to wonderful sponsors and judges of the challenge.  It was fun!  I'm already wondering what colour Pantone will select for 2014.... ;o)


Now, onto my second quilt finish as a part of the FAL 2013 (yay! this means there's  another WIP crossed off this list!)

My newest quilt is "Summer Sparkler" - as it makes me think of picnics and fireworks.


The delightfully fun block design is called, "Rain or Shine" designed by Elizabeth Hartman and found in her book, The Practical Guide to Patchwork . 


I made a twin size version quilt and deleted the yo-yo's included in Elizabeth's pattern.


I chose to free motion quilt a meander pattern, using a light gray thread for both top and bottom. This colour blends on the quilt top and contrasts with the blue backing. I'm loving the way the quilting is taking center stage on the backing.  No real surprise that I love meander quilting. ;o)

Pattern for this quilt block is "Rain or Shine", found in The Practical Guide to Patchwork.

I'm linking up with Amanda Jean's

Comments

  1. Congratulations on winning third place with your quilt...that's so cool! Your Summer Sparkler quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the Emerald Challenge. I love the way you have used the colours in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Katherine! Both of your quilts are beautiful! I hope that snow melts soon and you can go for a pic nic! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog after seeing you ont the winners' list - your entry was stunning! Your name for the latest finish is so appropriate - gorgeous finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the Emerald challenge and your latest quilt is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its great and will look awesome whenever we get grass again! (local inside joke) Congrats on the Emerald Challenge. Of course you quilt was a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the Emerald Challenge, Katherine!
    The quilt top is so fine!
    This new "Summer Sparkler" is so fresh!
    It seams that you are having your hands full in your studio;-)
    Great work, girl!!!
    Kram//Maja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on winning third place in the pantone challenge! Your Summer Sparkler quilt is fab too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Katherine, your blog is just quilt top eye candy recently! This is beautiful. well done on placing in the quilt top contest, it was well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Katherine!!! Your Summer Sparkler quilt is amazing! A wonderful patriotic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your Summer Sparkler quilt!

    And congratulations on your third place award. You must be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!