Just Peachy!

Sewing has taken a back seat this week as I work my way through the produce I bought to can.  Along with those 40lbs of tomatoes, I brought home 40lbs. of peaches.  I LOVE fresh peaches.  Truly nothing says summer to me the way a fresh ripe peach does.  When they were first in season, I came home with a 20lb. box for eating...  and we devoured every single one within that week.  Obviously, double that amount wouldn't see us too far, but I thought I could at least can some for the winter months from that amount.
 
They are every bit as sweet tasting as they look!
 
Once those peaches were at the peak of ripeness, I set to work.   Now, I don't like a heavy syrup on them because I want to taste the peach - not some sugar laden syrup.  Once again, I messed around with recipes until I came up with one that suites our family's taste and it doesn't use any sugar!  I actually used honey for my canning syrup.  I know the canning books don't recommend this, but in all the years I've been using honey rather than sugar, I've had no problems.  They are delicious!

Obviously, I didn't can every peach on hand.  I had to leave some for my morning oatmeal! lol
There's just something beautiful  about seeing my canning jars fill with seasonal goodness.  It feels so rewarding!   Crazy thing is, I just want to can more and more.  Happens to me every year. lol


Looking for today's list of blogs for the Bowls with Borders Blog hop?  Here they are!


August 24th
Gudrun Z. (no show)
 



Keep hopping along...  Carol has the full schedule!

Comments

  1. Katherine ... your peaches look delicious! They're pretty eye candy besides tasting so good too the way you picture them in your jars :) THank you for sharing and I wish you all that is happy today! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peaches look delicious. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canning jars full of nature's goodness, and quilts and fabric are all equal in the eye candy department!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been busy with the same things. Your peaches and salsa look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those jars look so delicious. I think canned peaches are still my favourite when it comes to preserved fruit.

    And that salsa... it reminds me of the hot pepper sauce my friend was making this week. I could feel the heat with just a gentle whiff of it, never mind actually putting a dab in my mouth!

    It sure looks good though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those jars look so delicious. I think canned peaches are still my favourite when it comes to preserved fruit.

    And that salsa... it reminds me of the hot pepper sauce my friend was making this week. I could feel the heat with just a gentle whiff of it, never mind actually putting a dab in my mouth!

    It sure looks good though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your peaches do look delicious. I'm really missing canning this year. And I know what you mean about just wanting to can and can. There is something so satisfying going into the cupboard or pantry and seeing all those jars of home canned food lined up... knowing what ingredients went into each and every one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!